Hey mama. How are you doing? I’m taking deep breaths 6+ feet away from everyone right now. I may even be having a little wine…daydreaming about a time when Coronavirus/COVID-19 didn’t roam the earth (or Palm Beach County). I’m taking it slow now that we’re about a few weeks in, trying to figure out how to provide content for readers like you when the majority of it always involves events or happenings in Boca. These are of course, CANCELLED for the foreseeable future. Since I also work at a school, I’m just praying May/June activities actually happen. Those poor kids, especially the class of 2020…
This challenging time has also brought out the curiosity in me. What are Boca moms with kids at home doing during our collective self-imposed quarantines/social distancing? Below, I’m sharing a little about what we’re doing. I also put out a survey on Facebook and here’s what I found out from other moms, complete with (affiliate) links to purchase any needed supplies!
I’ve personally found that I need to keep it simple. I have felt anxious, paralyzed and overwhelmed. And, honestly just plain sad for the state of the world and our small business community. I hope this helps me and you as we navigate this new normal.
In my home, we’re…
Spring cleaning all the things!!!
- So far, we’ve re-done #dailybocaavery’s play area under the stairs and turned it into a reading nook. We also deep cleaned her bedroom. Next up: the laundry room…
Creating our own in-home IMAX movie experience courtesy of MODS!
- Did you know you Boca moms with kids at home can watch their educational movies for FREE or pretty cheap via various streaming platforms? Just head to the Museum of Discovery & Science website to see the selection.
Playing in the pool (even though it’s cold AF).
- Wednesdays– Story time at 9:30 a.m.
- Thursdays– Hunters of the Sky 12:30 p.m.
- Fridays– Reptiles Rule at 12:30 p.m.
- Saturdays– Wildlife Encounters 11:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Every Day– Wildlife Encounters at 3:00 p.m.
Spending quality time (eating, reading, watching TV) outside on our Outer sofa!
- I have never been more grateful to have quality outdoor furniture on our patio. And if you’re interested in learning more about the Outer brand, I’m accepting virtual appointments for tours! It’s such a great company…
- We are also discovering the Boca Raton Public Library’s Digital Library! Library cardholders can enjoy expanded access to 700,000 eBooks, audio books, magazines, movies, music, and more to stream, view or listen to on your computer or mobile device.
This is all in addition to virtual learning of course, playing Osmo, outside walks, GoNoodle, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, YouTube, cutting my husband’s hair and copious amounts of alcohol. God bless our teachers.
In other family homes, Boca moms are…
Doing scavenger hunts, Geocaching (with teens) and chores!
Local mom Shawn Sherlock recommends setting an agenda, agenda, agenda. “Get creative and outside with tasks that [your kids] will use their brain for. It’s been great getting back to nature with both [of my ] boys, but especially great with my teen who loves nature and adventure.”
- For the scavenger hunt, there are several on Amazon you can buy. I also make my own (inside or outside). Take 10-15 things and put them on a list. Example: find a water bottle, water fountain, red bird. It’s a perfect excuse to walk around outside and have a family adventure!
- For Geocaching: It’s an online, worldwide community that you can find at: www.geocaching.com. All ages can play. Use the free app or purchase a geocaching tool and search for pre-hidden items in the Boca Raton area or your own city.
Homeschooling on their own terms!
- Local mom Francis Jawhari is excited to home-school on her terms for the little ones. “It’s not just about math and reading. They get music, cooking, art, exercise. The possibilities are endless. Our learning day typically begins at 10:00 a.m. None of this 8:00 a.m. business. They are enjoying it, and the schedule changes daily. It also makes the day go by fast!”
Exploring online art classes and enjoying family bike rides and game time!
- Local mom Danielle Baugh is grateful for Boca’s beautiful weather during a time like this. “We haven’t been stuck inside! Also, we have great neighbors that organized a Shamrock scavenger hunt for the children. So, we have been searching for hidden shamrocks on our morning bike ride. It’s also nice to wave and say hi to everyone…from a distance, of course. Boca gets a bad rap sometimes but I’m surrounded by the friendliest families and that makes this all seem more bearable.”
And if you get to your breaking point, heed this helpful advice from other Boca moms with kids at home…
- Francis: Be willing to be flexible! If you veer off the schedule it’s OK. Structure really helps though. With four kids in my house, some sort of order is a must. With a schedule, I honestly haven’t gotten frustrated at all…yet. It’s tiring with me bouncing back and forth from child to child, but worth it.
- Danielle: Take a moment to honor your own emotions about the situation and then employ some hopefully pre-established coping strategies. If you don’t already have some destressing tools in your toolbox then get some ASAP. Try to follow the advice you give your children and make the best of it.
- Shawn: Agenda, agenda, agenda. Get creative and outside with tasks that your kids need use their brains for. It’s been great getting back to nature with both of my boys, but especially great with my teen who loves nature and adventure.
As for me? Hang in there. And be sure to give yourself GRACE. We’re all in this together…but apart. 😉