After having kids, things are never quite the same downstairs — and I know my Boca moms can probably relate. I have two words for you: jumping jacks. Even women who don’t have children may start to notice that the aging process creates a “less-than-desirable transformation in our most intimate area. In addition to things not quite feeling the same, they just don’t look the same either. It’s enough to make some moms self-conscious (or totally awkward even writing this article, for instance), and for others, it can interfere with their love life, self-esteem and daily activities. Luckily, we have options. Cosmetic surgery procedures like feminine rejuvenation are now widely available to help you love your lady parts.
These treatments have become increasingly popular, and statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons® (ASPS) prove it. According to their * 2016 report, the number of women getting labiaplasty (a type of vaginal rejuvenation) increased 39% from 2015–2016. ASPS President, Debra Johnson, attributes the rise in popularity to a more accepting attitude toward plastic surgery in general (hello, we live in Boca Raton), which opens the door for everything from facelifts and fat removal to other areas of the body.
But feminine rejuvenation isn’t just about appearances or ramping up your sex life (although, it does work well for both). It may also help with certain medical issues, including incontinence, yeast infections, vaginal dryness, and other vaginal irritations.
Curious? Me too. That’s why I talked with Dr. Kent Hasen, a plastic surgeon in our west coast neighbor, Naples, FL, to learn more about this up-and-coming cosmetic trend, and to find out what the options are. According to Dr. Hasen, women can choose between 3 vaginal rejuvenation procedures: labiaplasty, vaginoplasty, and ThermiVa®.
Considering Feminine Rejuvenation? Here’s What You Need to Know
Here’s the breakdown:
- Labiaplasty: Dr. Hasen explains that labiaplasty is a broad term that may refer to any procedure related to the labia majora or labia minora (the outer and inner vaginal lips). Many women choose this surgery to treat large, uneven, or elongated labia minora. Dr. Hasen says that many of his labiaplasty patients in Naples, FL, complain of painful sex or discomfort during exercise because of a large labia. By reducing the labia size, his patients not only enjoy an attractive result, they are also much more comfortable.
- Vaginoplasty: Vaginoplasty is another type of rejuvenation procedure that focuses on tightening lax vaginal walls or vaginal atrophy (muscle weakness). This is often recommended for moms who suffer from incontinence after childbirth, or for those of us who would simply prefer not to pee a little when we sneeze (amirite?). Others choose vaginoplasty to improve their sex life by feeling younger and tighter. Dr. Hasen says many of his patients combine vaginoplasty with another vaginal rejuvenation procedure, such as labiaplasty.
- ThermiVa: Unlike labiaplasty and vaginoplasty, ThermiVa does not require surgery. The procedure uses radiofrequency energy to promote collagen production.
According to Dr. Hasen, his ThermiVa patients get this treatment to help with issues such as:
- Laxity or a feeling of looseness
- Persistent vaginal dryness
- Episodes of urinary incontinence
- Diminished pleasure from sex
ThermiVa can usually be performed in under half an hour without anesthesia. Dr. Hasen recommends a series of 3 treatments spaced 1–2 months apart for optimal results. What’s best — you can go back to your normal routine immediately afterward, without any downtime. This is perfect for a busy mom’s schedule.
Ultimately, the procedure you choose should fit your needs, goals, and budget. Dr. Hasen strongly suggests consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon to ensure that your procedure will be performed safely and correctly.
While it may be intimidating at first to talk openly with a doctor about your unmentionables, the results can be worth it. Think about it: You endure a little awkwardness in return for reduced dryness, enhanced sensation, improved vaginal tone, and better sex? Sounds like something a Boca mom might want to learn more about.
Sponsored: This feminine rejuvenation post was sponsored by Dr. Kent Hasen. All opinions expressed in this blog post are my own and not influenced in any way by the sponsor. Any statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with provider. Please refer to this site’s Disclosure for more information. I have been compensated, but that does not impact my views or opinions.