As a mom, especially a new mom, it can be difficult to find time for a workout. Even when you have the motivation and you WANT to workout (for your sanity, well-being and your waistline!), there’s a new obstacle in your way: you have no one to watch your child. It’s an all-too-common problem! There are exercises you can do with a baby!
But what if you could workout WITH your baby, without the need for child care, and in the comfort and privacy of your own home? Problem solved! You can get your sweat on, your workout in and some bonding time with your little bundle of joy!
Check out these 5 awesome and effective exercises to tighten and tone! You can perform them with (or without!) your baby in tow!
1. Plank. The plank is a great total body exercise, especially for that core! Place your baby on his or her back on the floor. Position yourself over your baby, nose-to-nose, balancing yourself on your forearms and your toes. Keep your core engaged, your back flat and your tush down – there should be a straight line from your shoulders all the way to your heels!
If you’re feeling unstable or you’re not comfortable balancing over your baby, place the baby lying or sitting directly in front of you. You can gaze at your beauty as you’re struggling to hold that plank position. Try to hold it for 30 seconds, and repeat 3 times if you can!
2. Squats. A weighted squat is a great lower body exercise and having the weight of your baby also really engages your core! Hold your baby snugly against your chest, or if you have one, strap the baby in a carrier on your front or your back. Remember to keep your head up and chest out, and with a flat back bend your knees and squat down. Try to keep your knees behind your toes throughout the entire movement (tip: push your tush back as if you’re about to sit in a chair)!
Try for 10-15 reps, and repeat this 3 times if you can!
3. Push-ups. The push-up is a great upper body and core exercise! You can put your baby in the same positions as discussed in the Plank section above. Start in an extended arm plank position. Bend your elbows to lower your body down, then push with the chest and shoulders to extend the elbows and push your body back up!
You can also do this on your knees, rather than on your toes, to make the exercise a little easier. (Don’t forget to steal a kiss each time you lower down!) Try for 10 reps, and repeat 3 times if you can!
4. Lunges. Walking lunges are another great lower body and core exercise! You can put your baby in the same positions as discussed in the Squats section above. Remember to take nice long steps and don’t feel silly doing them in your living room or around your dining room table! If you don’t have enough room, you can simply lunge forward and then bring that same leg back to the starting position, then lunge the other leg forward, and so on.
Both knees should be at 90 degree angles while in the lunge position and, again, keep the knees behind the toes! Try for 6-10 lunges on each leg, alternating, and repeat 3 times if you can!
5. Lying leg raises. This is a great exercise to target those lower abs!! Lie on your back and place your baby sitting on your stomach facing you or lie them down chest to chest. Hinge at your hips to lift both legs straight in the air, then slowly lower them down to almost touching the floor (you can rest them on the floor if you need to!) and then bring them back up again!
Try for 10 reps, and repeat 3 times if you can!
Remember to have fun, do what you can and enjoy this special time with your baby!!
What are some exercises you can do with your baby, MBMoms?
(Disclaimer: Always consult a physician before starting any exercise program.)
Modern Boca Mom contributor Samara is a stay-at-home mom with a passion for health, fitness, and social media. In her “downtime” from mommy-ing two boys, she is an account executive for a boutique social media firm and the founder of healthy living blog, Peace, Love and Ice Cream!